Let's mod those BGMs
- February 2, 2018 at 12:41 pm #162496
First of all, thank you very much for this site and your tutorial. I expect a lot from modders community for DBF, and this is the best start we can imagine.
So basically I’ld like to replace original BGM by other ones (Kikuchi, Sadamoto, Faulconer, personal musics, …)
With your tutorial, I ripped the 1st pack and filtered the BGM directory. See below.
So here’s my noob questions :
- what is the codec used for those .uexp sound files ?
- Can we easily know the length of each of each ?
- Can we just take our music, rename with the same name that an existing one, and it just works ?
- How to convert our classic .mp3 or .wav into those .uexp ?
- Let’s pack it up and release.
And here’s my episode 2 questions :
- How the original BGM musics manage the loops/transitions/chain during a scene longer than the track’s length ?
- Can we use those effects ? Like loop (at a specific time), transition (fade, closure, ..) or chain (between 2 tracks)
- Can we add new triggering events ? Like during a switch, a super attack, a destructive finish, …
Here’s the actual list of BGM (I’ll see into the 2nd pack tonight) :
- First value is the size of the file (give a idea on the length), second is name of the file
- _bat_ are battle BGMs, _sto_ are story BGMs, and _main_ are main menus BGMs.
- In _bat_ list, we can see the files with name of the futur BGM DLC : Dandan, Makafushi adventure, We gotta Power, Chala head chala, Solid state scouter, … bold
1 user thanked author for this post.
- February 3, 2018 at 5:13 pm #162565
I advanced a bit, I successfully exported the musics into .ogg, thanks to umodel.
Before finding how to actually swap a music (I think it’s now pretty easy and fast), the main part is now to define which music will be the perfect swap.
So here’s a link to some materials. I’ll move from my side, and make some propositions.
- February 5, 2018 at 12:18 pm #162697
I spent the entire week-end on this, for 2 reasons :
- I needed to find & understand every Kikuchi’s musics : which are released and which aren’t, on which compilation, which are used on each DB/DBZ arcs, during fights, when the movies are released and when the movies’ musics reached the serie, …
- I needed to make legit playlist for each map / characters. So I digged into the anime, looking at each fight and recording which music is used.
For this second point, I spent some time listening the musics, and searching into my directories which file I’m listening to; then I discovered the awesome Kenisu database, and I saved few hours and my mental sanity.
So in order to make good BGMs, I assumed some points :
- As a round is 300 seconds, I need music that lasts 300 sec. I don’t want them to loop (and I’m not sure it does).
- I try to keep a story in BGM : from “calm” to “energic” or “tragic”. Not easy but I try !
- I wanted each stage to be linked to a saga, so the Kikuchi’s music sets used will be identified :
- Wasteland : early Buu arc (M1700, M1600, M1800)
- Rocky field : Sayians arc (M700, M800)
- Town : Androids arc (M1100, M1200, M1300)
- Destroyed town : Dismal futur like androids OAV & DBS Black ! (M1200, M1300, and DBS’s Trunks arc but not released yet)
- KaioshinKai : late buu arc (M1800, M1900, M2000, M2100)
- Namek : Frieza arc (M800, M900)
- Volcano : dramatic Frieza arc (M900, M1000)
- Tenkaichi Budokai : Every tournament’s fun musics ! (M1700, M500, M300, …)
- And so on…
Choices for stages are 90% complete. Now I will have to encode into great quality .ogg (so good source files), and pack into a mod, and release this. I’ll merely need some help for the last part !
I will consider a V2 with characters BGMs later. The main milestone is february 28, with the release of DBS OST volume 2.
- February 7, 2018 at 2:09 pm #162884
OK everything’s going pretty fine !
- Audio-mixing is really easy : queuing several cues and exporting in .ogg is way faster than I tought.
- Keeping a good audio quality was easy also, as a big part of the used BGMs are released ones, I have original CDs so good sources.
- Unpacking the pakchunk0.pak file was simple with the tutorial video. Thanks again !
- Importing my .ogg into the actual files is scary but not really hard, with an hexa-decimal editor.
And now the fun part : how the game will accept music mods ? 2 methods exist :
- Newpak method : making a newpak exactly as on the tutorial video, paste it in the ~mods folder, and let the game loads this folder.
- Reimport method : editing directly the pakchunk0.pak file by injecting the modded musics directly into. Forces to make a backup, longer, and more difficult to publish.
Well… The problem is that the newpak method doesn’t work well with musics. You can’t just propose your “4M music file.uexp” packed into the ~mods folder, and expect the game to use it like for any models mods :(. The guy who did the Budokai OST mod was forced to publish a 2,8G .pak file, instead of what, 100M of musics ? He only had this option, no choice.
So for now I will use the reimport method for testing purpose (feeling of my music choices, compression level of .ogg, …), and I will aim for a newpak publishing smaller than 2G. I have few ideas to test (but I think the budokai guy tested them) :
- Pak with the whole \BGM folder
- Pak with the whole \Audio folder
Anyway, it’s only a size question : The mod will be available this week-end at last. Keep it up ! You will have some surprise with my Soundtrack 🙂
- February 7, 2018 at 2:43 pm #162885AReinhartParticipant
I was thinking to try and make an anime ost mod, but i’m not really good with sounds.
I just see this post, and it seems you are working so hard on it, so i hope this fits what i was specting, keep it going
Just wondering, are you going to add songs from other source’s (like other mods out there, like budokai’s) or everything is from the anime ost?
- February 7, 2018 at 3:18 pm #162886
Hello, and thank you very much for your support !
There’s 2 mains problems with Kikuchi mod for DBF :
- Understanding how to mod
- Understanding how Kikuchi’s cues were used in the anime.
It’s a long run but I’m pretty confident !
This pack will be anime only : I wanted a Kikuchi only, but I rather respect DBS stages & characters with their own theme. Also, for characters theme, I may use some iconic musics, like battle point unlimited for Trunks, or unmei no hi for Gohan. My main concern is rythm ! It’s a fighting game and I can’t put too slow songs during matchs.
I plan to do another pack after with video games OST, like butoden, budokai or battle 22. But unlike Anime score, I’m not confident about my videogames OST’s knowledge. So maybe some other guys will mod this before me ? We will see !
- February 7, 2018 at 3:22 pm #162887
- February 9, 2018 at 8:24 pm #163173
Thanks for the hard work !
You second link in the excel document seems to be offline : http://robic.julien.free.fr/NayteDBFv1.rar
Can you please reupload it ?
Thank you !
- February 10, 2018 at 1:47 pm #163249163173 wrote:
Hello Nayte, Thanks for the hard work ! You second link in the excel document seems to be offline : http://robic.julien.free.fr/NayteDBFv1.rar Can you please reupload it ? Thank you !
Currently reuploading it, will be avaiable in few time !
- February 10, 2018 at 1:44 pm #163248
- February 10, 2018 at 3:42 pm #163273
- February 10, 2018 at 3:49 pm #163274
The informations in the “timings” tab are 100% accurate regarding my mod ! Not sure about the main tab ? I’ll correct.
- February 10, 2018 at 4:06 pm #163275
Ok thank you for your answer !
That would be very useful to have the list up to date with you last mod modifications.
I’ll check the timings tab first as you suggested 😉
I was using the first one to start…
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.